The Basilica of St Helen is the fourth church to serve as the parish church of the town of B’Kara since it was made a parish in 1402. The foundation stone was laid by Bishop Gori Mancini on the 27th April 1727. The church was designed in the baroque style by the architect Salvu Borg and was completed in 1745.
The church was consecrated by Bishop Labini in 1782 and was dedicated to Saint Helena, (Empress). In 1950 Pope Pius XII elevated the status of the church to that of a Basilica.