In the 20th century, as the population of Santa Venera continued to grow, it became increasingly evident that the old church was too small to meet the needs of the local parishioners. Therefore a new church was to be built to the Romanesque Revival designs of Ġużè Damato. The construction of the new church started in April 1956.
After excavation works, the roofing and the balcony were completed by June 1967. However, construction was stopped due to a lack of funds. Until construction work could be started again, the crypt underneath the church was used as a temporary church.