The Knights of St John were devoted to St. Julian the Hospitaller – a Roman Catholic saint. They quickly passed this devotion on to the Maltese. In 1580 a small chapel was built in the fields belonging to some of the Knights of St John who would often come hunting in the area. As time went by the Parishioners of St Julians multiplied.
The old Church was becoming too small and so, on the 9 July 1961 the foundation stone for a new Parish Church was laid.